The back-to-school season is upon us, but it's also still summertime, and while your little educators are in the care of their class during hours of high sun, sun protection is essential.
1. School Uniform Hats: Schools with a uniform usually include a cohesive sunhat. This can eliminate arguments about style and sun protection. Don’t forget to label or name your hat!
2. No Uniform Schools: Even without a uniform, most schools in New Zealand had a mandatory hats policy for terms one and four. Dive into the variety of sunhat options available, from wide-brimmed hats to stylish caps, and choose the right hat together. Discuss the importance of choosing hats with UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) for maximum sun protection.
3. Self Expression: Encourage and support your learner to embrace their individual sense of style. Providing the chosen hat works well at keeping the sun off, some creative freedom should be enjoyed.
4. Sunscreen before you Leave: Keep sunscreen front of mind with a bottle by the front door. Apply before you leave the house, every day, rain or shine.
5. Adjustable: Children grow like weeds. Look for a hat with adjustable sizing, so they can grow with the children.
6. Lead by Example: Following the lead of grown-ups is how children learn. Set the tone with diligent sun protection for yourself and the children will be more likely to follow suit.
7. Portable Sunscreen: Smaller-sized sunscreen options are great to pop in a lunch bag (as a reminder to reapply at lunchtime) or clip to a backpack for regular top ups.
This back-to-school season, let's prioritise sun safety without compromising style. With the right sunhat, your child can confidently step into the new school year, ready to shine under the sun while staying protected. Embrace the sun-smart revolution and make sunhats an essential part of your child's back-to-school wardrobe!